Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Well-Stocked Pantry

Posted by Head Fly at 4:59 PM


I absolutely love pantry cooking!  Whenever I am forced to head to my pantry and figure out what to make for dinner with just the ingredients I have on-hand (no planning) is when the real creative magic happens in The Cottage Kitchen. 

I think a well-stocked pantry is essential for every home.  Have you ever gone to the grocery store with a list for 3-4 dinners you want to cook for the week?  You've got all the ingredients written down and you go to purchase your groceries for the week and BAM!!  You realize that you could have eaten at a five-star restaurant for several meals for the price you just paid for all the ingredients you needed for the week.  Well, I think knowing how to pantry cook and improvise is key to budgeting when it comes to cooking.

I thought I would share with you what I keep on-hand in my home that makes it possible for me to whip together a meal on a moments notice.

The Cottage Home 
Well-Stocked Pantry

Canned Tomatoes - Whole & Crushed
Sun-dried Tomatoes
Pasta - all shapes
Couscous
Rice - Basmati, Jasmine, Arborio, Instant Brown
Dijon Mustard
Canned Beans - Cannellini, Black, Pinto, Chickpeas, Red Kidney
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Olives - Green & Black
Green Chilis - diced
Lentils
Enchilada Sauce - Red & Green
Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Cream-based Condensed Soup - Cream of Chicken & Cream of Mushroom
Canned Hominy
Tomato Paste
Tortilla Chips
Vinegars - Balsamic, White Balsamic, Cider, Rice Wine, Red Wine
Sugars - Light & Dark Brown, Granulated, Confectioner's
Chocolate Chips
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
All-Purpose Flour
Nuts - Pine Nuts, Walnuts, Almonds (sliced), Pecans
Chicken Stock
Tea - variety of flavors
Coffee

So there you have it - a glimpse into The Cottage Mama's pantry.  I find by having these ingredients on hand at all times, I have no problem coming up with a delicious meal for my family.  I typically have some type of frozen meat/seafood on hand as well as all types of frozen veggies - mix it up with my pantry ingredients and spices and I can create a meal fit for a king! 

If you have been struggling with coming up with meals for your family, I suggest you look at your pantry first and make sure you are fully stocked and ready to go!  Happy cooking!

Cottage Mama's Note:  If you need any help coming up with creative recipes that include pantry staples, please leave me a comment and I would be happy to post some of my basic pantry recipes for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

home appliances Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review