Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cooking with Kids - Pita Pizza

Posted by Head Fly at 4:07 PM

My oldest daughter, Savannah Rose, is 2.5 years old and she loves feeling like a "big girl".  Being that she is still pretty little, we have only cooked and baked together a handful of times, but I plan on making this a regular activity for the two of us (and eventually the three of us when Matilda gets a little older).

Today for lunch I decided to make something I know Savannah loves - Pizza!  This recipe (if you can call it that) was super-simple and Miss S. was able to be involved the whole time.  I want to foster the love of cooking in all my children and I hope some of these early times in the kitchen will develop a life-long passion for the culinary arts.

Savannah put on her apron and Mama put on hers and off we went........


Pita Pizza

Ingredients:
4 large pita breads (we used flat-bread pita, but you can use the pocket kind too)
1 small can pizza sauce
1-2 cups shredded cheese (we used Italian 4-cheese blend)
Toppings for pizza (Miss S. loves black olives)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lay four pita breads out on a baking sheet.


Spoon the sauce onto the pita and let your little one spread it all around with a spoon.


Put your shredded cheese in a little bowl (it's easier for little hands this way).  Let your little one sprinkle all the cheese on top.

Place your toppings each in a little bowl and let your little one put them on the pizzas.  We used sliced black olives because that's what Savannah and I like, but a few other ideas would be pepperoni, diced chicken, bell pepper, onion, broccoli, diced ham, pineapple, spinach and fresh tomatoes.  This is a great way to get some new veggies into your kids!


Finally, give your little lady/man the Italian seasoning and let them shake it onto the top of the pizzas.


Place pita pizza's in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden and bubbly.


Remove pizza from baking sheet and allow to cool.  Cut each pizza into four pieces and enjoy!  




Trust me, your little one will gobble this up and feel so proud of their edible creation!

Cottage Mama's Note:  The apron Savannah is wearing was mine when I was a little girl.  My parents brought it back for me from Beatrix Potter's house in England when I was about four years old.  So glad my Mom saved it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

home appliances Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review